Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Jim Henson's Labyrinth


        Jim Henson has always been an idol of mine since I was young girl . He brought the Muppets into creation and worked on some of my favorite films, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. His puppets always fascinated me and in my eyes the man was a true artist when it came to design and characters. He had a way with bringing characters to life and creating amazing fantasy stories. Such as with Henson’s film Labyrinth. I absolutely adore the film and it’s one of my favorite movies. I’ve seen it plenty of times since I was a child but it always feels so magical seeing it again.

            What I really enjoyed about the overall film and story was how it blended reality with fantasy. Just beyond our little humdrum world lies a fantastical land filled with amazing characters and creatures. Of course one has to somehow fall into said world or be lead into it. I remember feeling jealous of the main character Sarah when I was a little girl. I, and lots of other children, always dream of somehow ending up in some far off fantasy land. Of course the way Sarah was pulled into the Labyrinth world wasn’t too ideal as she had to race against time to find her baby brother who was taken by the Goblin King. I’d rather just walk into some fantasy world without having to do some grating  cliché fantasy task that requires me to do something I’m not all gunghoe for.

            The characters in the film are something I enjoyed massively whenever I had had sat down and watched Labyrinth. Whether it was the awesome Goblin King Jareth or the adorkable Hoggle, all the characters in the film were really enjoyable to watch and I loved seeing Henson’s puppet characters in the film. The labyrinth itself was quite visually stunning too and heck, the whole movie looked great for the time it was produced. Jim Henson’s Labyrinth world was also really a visual masterpiece in my opinion and I feel that it’s a great example of fantasy done right in a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment