Monday, November 19, 2012

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman


            The first time I became aware of The Golden Compass and the His Dark Materials series was when I went to see the release of the film adaptation of the first novel The Northern Lights back in back in 2007( called The Golden Compass initially). I’m a sucker for fantasy flicks so I had to see it. I wasn’t too disappointed in the film I’ll admit. Nowhere near as good as the book but it carried over the many ideas presented by the novel and I loved the depiction of the characters and their daemons.

            On the topic of the Golden Compass novel I have to say that I quite enjoy the magical world Pullman has created. The world of His Dark Materials is parallel to our own but contains within it a fascinating blend of science, magic, and philosophies. The novel is also unique in that it introduces beings called Daemons, the basic staple of the entire series. Most fantasy series use the same basic clichés so the introduction of the animal daemons whom are the physical embodiment of a human’s soul was incredibly awesome to see. I wouldn’t mind having my own daemon too now that I think about it.

            The characters in The Golden Compass are another aspect that I really love about the book and film. Lyra, the main protagonist, is a great character and I always enjoy her interaction with her daemon Pantalaimon. Despite her age she shows great strength in both mind and heart as she journeys to stop the Gobblers and rescue the children they had kidnapped. My second favorite character from this novel has to be the sentient polar bear named Iorek. He’s a cast out from his clan and was set to be king but in the end he proves himself in battle, thanks to some major motivation from Lyra. He’s just a major badass and a character which I really came to admire thanks to his strength and bravery. Also, just the whole idea of a race of sentient fighting bears who duke it out decked in armor was enough to make the fantasy-hippy in me giddy.

            In Pullman’s novel the world he creates is one filled with magic and general wonder but he also establishes a sense of deep philosophy and logic. The characters in the novel seem to be motivated by a need to find answers to important questions. Death, life, and alternate universes are just some of these topics which play a big role in the novel. In most fantasy books you just sit back and enjoy the story, but here you have a fantasy that questions the world and various other things while still maintaining that sense of magic and splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment